Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane



Wow. I am so excited to start this blog! I love to share what I do with others and this is a great opportunity!
I figured that I would start out by letting my readers and clients know my story, and why I love decorating cakes so much! 

It all started when I was 12 years old. I was in charge of an activity night for my church group. I had always been interested in cooking, baking, and other creative outlets, so I figured that having someone teach us about cake decorating would be fun! 

I still remember the cake! It was a white (cause that was my favorite) cake that I iced in buttercream and piped a super messy shell boarder around. Then the teacher added a few beautiful buttercream roses on top and I wrote “Happy Mother’s Day” on top! 

I took the cake home. I was so proud of myself. The teacher had even let me take home a piping bag and a rose nail. I was going to master the roses! I remember sitting at the dinner table for hours that night, trying to get it right. I never did get it right that night, but I remember my dad coming in and proclaiming that he could do it! I doubted that he could and what he produced looked a whole lot more like a rose than what I had been making did! I was upset and I vowed to never let my dad out do me at icing roses ever again! 

I was hooked! I knew that I needed to learn all I could about this wonderful edible art! I begged my mom to let me buy some tips and bags I had found on eBay, and it even came with a book to help me! I practiced and practiced and practiced. I made cakes for everything! I gave cakes to my neighbors, to my friends at school, and to my family. I just kept baking. I even entered some cakes in our State Fair. 

I did my first wedding cake at age 15 (pictured above). It was my first stacked cake and I was TERRIFIED that it would fall over! It was still standing at the end of the night, and I was so proud. 

The path to where I am now was not an easy one! I have made hundreds of cakes and I am still learning! Believe me when I say that I am actually quite embarrassed to show you any early cakes of mine! I have gotten so much better! 

As I progress, learn more, and get better. I still remember some of those early cakes. Here are a few of the very first cakes I ever made.









A true trip down memory lane!




No comments:

Post a Comment